Google+ Followers

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

First attempt with Silver Metallic Paint!

I have fallen in love with the silver metallic look that I am seeing on a lot of  in blog land.  It is something that I was wanting to try.

Before
After  :)




















It wasn't that hard to find a piece of furniture to experiment on.  I have the perfect small piece that needs to be updated. 

The little dresser type piece has a very fond place in my heart.  You see, my dad built it.  He has been gone for over 25 years, but I make sure his woodworking stays with me.  I had this piece painted a few years ago, and had some trump loi painted on it.  I think its time to update!!! 

With a little help from my friend Kathy at Petticoat Junktion I got all the information and list of paint that I would need to get this little project underway.  I love how Kathy did her own mix and added the Vintage Gold color into the Mirror paint. 

I have to say, I did make one little change from her original paint supply.  I for some reason had Kilz on my mind, and had had some tinted a grey color.  She had suggested using Glidden Gripper Primer, but I went with Kilz instead.  I worried that I didn't follow her directions to the T, but it turned out fine.  I guess a primer is a primer??!! 

The Martha Stewart  Living paints were great.  I enjoyed working with them, and have to say the clean up was quite easy since they are all water based. 

I had a bit of a time finding the Caromal Colours Toner, but was able to find it at Showplace Market in Moore, OK.  Just love the Internet....google and find....that's my motto! 

I must say I am very happy with the outcome.  I think I have brought my little piece of furniture into the 21 century.  I know my dad is smiling at the finished product.  Hope you like it, and maybe I have inspired you to try to paint something Silver in your home!!! 

Thanks again to Kathy at Petticoat Junktion for inspiring me to try this painting technique.  Love your blog and hope others will follow you as well! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I have ventured over from No Rules hop. Thrilled to be connecting with someone new!

    XOXO, Mandi @ All My Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, Your piece is beautiful. I know your dad would love it :-)
    Thanks for the shout out to me! You are right, a primer is a primer and we all have our favorites. I'm glad you could find the toner, it makes all the difference in the world with this finish. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. I have wanted to paint the piece for quite a while, and when I saw your metallic painted piece, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I was a little slow on it as I thought it was going to be hard, but boy, was I wrong. Thanks again for your tutorial!!!

      Delete